Wednesday, June 29, 2022

13!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

My beautiful Havana is turning 13! We now have two teens in the house, which is hard to fathom. Havana is my baby, no matter what age she turns. And while she will always be my baby girl, I have seen many changes happening before my eyes and I have to accept that she is growing up. Sometimes the changes are happening so fast, I can't keep up.

This past year, Havana started 7th grade in a new school. The change from Montessori was both positive and challenging. Challenging in that the learning style was quite different and that she was behind in math. The positive is that Havana is smart and she quickly acclimated to the new system and got caught up in her academics. She is getting almost straight A's. Socializing she has thrived. She has made a few sweet, loyal, new friends, resulting in walking after school to the plaza and library, stopping for snacks with friends along the way. She also has maintained her relationship with her two closest friends from MFS, which has been important to her.

We have seen Havana grow physically this past year. She is now taller than both her sister and mw! Her shoe size is larger than mind as well and sometimes we share clothing! I love that. She does not. Mentally and emotionally, our sweet Havana is now more aligned with her age. She still has a younger side to her. She still believes in fairies (well, they are real so that makes sense), loves stuffed animals and cartoons. I hope that sweet, naïve side of is always a present part of Havana.

Havana's sense of self is changing as well. How she sees herself, her presentation to the world (clothing style), is changing but she remains a bit shy with others until she gets to know someone. Havana is more of an introvert and that will not change. She is also strong willed and a bit hard headed. Qualities she gets from both her parents. I am learning the best way to approach her when she is in one of her moods. It has not always been a smooth learning path of what works and what does not work, when trying to engage with Havana.  But still I persist. This has once again affirmed, that both my children are my greatest teachers. This past year, more specifically the past few months, I am learning more about myself, which has helped me to better understand Havana and how to have an even stronger relationship with her.

Havana has some amazing qualities. She can bake some award winning cookies and brownies. She is creative and continues to produce beautiful art. And, she is funny as heck. That girl's humor is quick and sometimes biting. She makes us laugh everyday, often many times a day. She loves to read and has taken an interest in medical based television shows. We continue to love show based in Hawaii. We were so sad Magnum P.I. was cancelled but we still enjoy watching NCIS-Hawaii together. We also enjoy Chicago Med and The Good Doctor. Havana says the latter is more realistic and the former, more like a soap opera. I think she is on point with that assessment.

Havana has some not so amazing qualities as well. She struggles with getting out of the house to do hiking or exercise. But once we get her out, she is the one leading the pack. Sometimes there is too much screen time, resulting in my limiting their daily time. Havana continue to be a selective eater but we have seen some improvement in her willingness to try a few new things. It is always a happy dance when she tries something new!

Havana remains the cat whisperer. She loves cats. Cats love Havana. Full stop.

Havana is a bright, shining star. She is also a rainbow of vibrant colors. She is complex, deep and sensitive. She is lovely young lady who is starting to settle into her own skin more and I hope that as this next year moves forward she becomes more confident in her amazingness. I hope that she makes more effort to get out in the world a bit more and that she continues to engage in the things she so enjoys and to start engaging in things that have her interest.

Happy Birthday Baby Girl. I love you more than words. 

Here are some photos of Havana over the past year as well as a few from birth and younger childhood.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...