Sunday, July 7, 2013

Babs



One day, a long time ago, in Upstate New York, two white girls with dreadlocks down to their asses met. Both were vegetarian, both had spent a whole lotta time in Jamaica, both had lived in California, loved reggae and both loved to discuss racism, politics and culture. A true friendship was born!

Almost twenty years later here we are. Time flies by; Izak, her eldest son was 8 when I met him. Jonah, well, he was still floating in the cosmos. I still remember the day I dreamed Babs was pregnant. When I told her about my dream her response was "No, I am not pregnant" and then four weeks later she said, "Remember that dream? Jonah is now going on seventeen.

Babs has never been one to shy away from what she needed to say and her direct and  honest way of moving through life being has  always been refreshing. She has been committed to her life calling as long as I have known her. The HIV/AIDS community is fortunate to have such a strong advocate.

Babs and I both shed our dreads years ago. I went first then Babs. We both counseled each other before and after we became "bald heads", as they say in Jamaica. But the heart of who Babs is has never changed.  She is honest, understands people and serves others in her profession. She a true and loyal friend.

It was great when Bab was visiting the Bay Area last Fall. The girls got to spend a good amount of time with her and when they realized we would see her again in New York they were both excited. I was looking forward to seeing her boys, whom I had not seen in many years.

I was not surprised that both Jonah and Izak have grown up into thoughtful, caring men. Their mother has done a great job. And my girls loved meeting them. Amara was disappointed that they were not cousins and decided that she could "pretend that they are."

We had a short but very sweet visit. It's always that way when I see Babs. Our time together is always meaningful and fulfilling and especially more so now that our children got to know each other.

We look forward to seeing them again, hopefully sooner than later.


Izak,Babs and Jonah in my apartment in Beacon, NY (late 1990's)

Babs got stranded out here during last Fall (she happened to be in town for a conference when Sandy hit) (October 2012) We were very thankful for that!

At Day of the Dead, 2012


Playing around with Jonah or Jonut as the girls nicknamed him after they found out he loves Dunkin Donuts as much as they do! (and we had to make a stop there together for an afternoon snack!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...