Monday, July 15, 2013

Kip's Kids


With Kip Cosson, author/illustrator.

About three years ago, my friend Valerie found a kids book about New York at Thrift Town. She thought that since I grew up there it would be fun to read it to my girls. That book turned out to be a huge hit. We all fell in love with Ned Visits New York, a delightful story about a penguin who becomes friends with a mouse named Meece who hails from New York.  I am not exaggerating when I say Don read that book to Amara a couple of times a week for at least a year. Then when Havana got bigger it was a repeat performance. For about another year. We don't read it as much now but it still comes off the bookshelf frequently.

When I would read Ned Visits New York, I would share childhood memories that coincided with places mentioned in book. I often thought,  'One day I will bring them to New York and they will be familiar with many of the places because of Ned and Meece.'

The girls loved this book so much that last year for their birthdays, Don ordered shirts (which are shown in the book) for them.

When it was time for us to go to New York, I emailed the author, Kip Cosson, and shared our history with his sweet story and our plans to use it as a guide book (there is a check list at the end). Kip responded to our email and suggested we visit him at one of the street fairs he sells at, if there was one that coincided with our trip. And guess what? There was!

On our last day in New York, we were up early, with the girls dressed in their Kip t-shirts and we headed into the City for our last adventure. First stop was Murray's bagels. Which I have to say a few things about; Murray's is a special place for our family; Don and I discovered it while pregnant with Amara. Then when I visit my friend Janet who was ill, I walked twenty blocks to get some bagels to bring home. And, there is mention of a Murray's Cheese Shop in Kip's book. (which had to be a play of the Murray's bagels. There are many things like that in his story.)

On our last hoorah into New York, we first met up with some good friends at Murray's and then we all headed over to W. 4th for the Street Fair, where we got to meet Kip. He was as pleasant and kind and warm as I had thought he would be. The girls were so ecstatic to meet him. He signed books (they got his two new ones; Meece is running for mayor!) and our friend Michael bought the girls news shirts.

Meeting Kip was one of the highlights of our visit. It was thrilling for the girls to put a face to a book that they read so much they knew it by heart. And that Kip was so welcoming and warm was fantastic.

Here is a link to his website for more information about his work or to vote for Meece for mayor! http://www.kipkids.com/




Kip showing the girls where he is in the book. He made himself into a character!



With my good friends Mark and Eric (whose wedding I went to while in NY). The three of us share the same birthday.
I love these guys! We go back about twenty years.

The three October 1st Stooges!

Eric reading to Havana. The girls had met him a couple of years ago when he came to California for a conference.







1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm super behind on your blog (not to mention my email box) because of going to camp with Brian and the move. What a lovely surprise to read this post tonight! I'm grinning ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...