Friday, July 12, 2013

Gypsy Janet


When I was sixteen years old, I was working the Rag Shop, a fabric store in New City. One day, in walked two women, tall, loud, with wonderfully big energy and were identical in looks. They were on a mission to buy felt. Lots of felt. I had to ask what they hell they were going to do with all of that felt. They were going to make hats for the Renaissance Fair. At that time I had no idea what a Renaissance Fair was.

I saw them a few times after that and each time I did I was touched by their energy and the joyful, lightness that emanated from them. I eventually left the Rag Shop and that was the end of seeing those interesting twins.

Fast forward about six years. I had returned to New York after college and living in Jamaica. I was hanging out with my friend Thomas who was living at the Hindu temple in Spring Valley when in walked his roommate, Jeffery. After introductions, we all sat down and started conversing about all kinds of things. Then Jeffery started talking about his twin friends Joyce and Janet and the festivals they sell at.  All I needed to hear was that one sentence and I knew immediately who he was talking about. Jeffery and I ended up becoming friends (to this day) and shortly after that initial conversation he introduced me to Janet.

As Janet and I got to know each other I discovered we are both monkeys (Chinese zodiac) and that playful spirit is what I love the most about her. Her eyes sparkle when her good natured mischievous self is about to do something silly.  Janet is also extremely creative. She knits, sews, beads and more. Because she is such a people person, selling at festivals is right up her alley. You can’t help but fall in love with Janet or her work.

And she used to through some serious parties.

When Janet was living in Phoenicia, she would cook these enormous feasts. The food would be served on a table set up full on Renaissance style (goblets for drinking and candles and the works). After dinner we would hang out and then dance until all hours of the night. All of us finding a spot to crash somewhere in her house. The mornings would bring more food and conversation of a spiritual nature. I met some very interesting people at Janet’s house and always had awesome times.

But Janet is just light and playful. She is a strong and brave woman. When her daughter Corrine was just a toddler her father died. Janet had to raise her daughter alone. I can’t even imagine what that must have been like but Janet did everything she needed to do to raise an independent, conscious and strong woman.

When Don and I came to New York before Amara was born, I made sure he got to meet her (he is a moneky too!).

A few years ago, Janet got sick. Multiple myeloma. She underwent a bone marrow transplant down in the City. I was so distraught about her and even more so when I learned she would have days when she would be alone, recovering at the Hope House. I asked Don if he would be okay with me going to help. He was. So I left the girls for the first time and headed to New York for a few days so I could help take care of my Monkey Girl. I am so thankful that two years later she is clear. Give thanks!

And now here we are visiting with Janet. She came for dinner at our friends house (Anita and Janet used to work together; small world!) and when we headed up to Woodstock, where she now calls home, we spent the day at the river and in town. We had a blast. 
I couldn't help but laugh out loud when we pulled into town and I had to make a stop at CVS. In I walked and who was there….Gypsy Janet. I don’t know much but I do know that when people are meant to be in your life they appear in all types of places. It’s a joy knowing Janet and her getting to know the girls was great too.




Jeffrey joined us at the river. Per her request he is showing Amara how to skip rocks.


Jeffrey

Jared, Jeffrey's 8 year old son.





1 comment:

  1. you are such a cutie pie, sweet words from a sweet friend, thank you for always being there. Even though you are 12 years younger than be I always say for are my daughter, and I want you to know what a pleasure it is to see how you have grown into such a beautiful young women and raising two beautiful sweet girls! Love you much, respect Janet

    ReplyDelete

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...