Friday, July 12, 2013

Robyn T.

At the Beacon River Front.

Many years ago, I was introduced to a woman named Robyn.  The person who did the introductions had a feeling we would connect because we shared similar interests and lived similar life styles.  At that time, we both lived in Southern Dutchess County and in those days (before gentrification) there weren’t many people who lived outside the box in our area.  It was refreshing to meet someone whom I could talk with that spoke a similar language.

Robyn and I became fast friends. We both enjoyed hiking, making meals together and we both were seekers on the path.  Inner-work as a means for healing, transformation and freedom were at the top of our priorities.

One of my favorite memories with Robyn is when she had returned home from her sister’s house in Maine. I got a call close to 8 o’clock in the evening asking if I wanted to join her for dinner. She had with her several fresh Maine lobsters that a friend had given to her. Off I went to her place where we feasted on some of the most scrumptious lobsters I had ever tasted. (and of course, I made sure to give thanks to the lobsters for giving up their lives for us.)

After I moved to California, Robyn and I stayed in close contact. Up until Amara was born we would talk on the phone once a week. After I became a mother our phone calls became less frequent but we still don’t go more than a month without checking in. Robyn is an extremely loyal person, which means a great deal to me. She is also thoughtful and giving. She flew out to California to witness my graduation from Grad School and she always remembers birthdays. Whenever I travel, I enjoy finding some artistic and/or spiritual knickknack for her. It's always fun listening for that one thing that feels like Robyn. It's  a good feeling sending someone you love a physical token of the feelings of love and gratitude you have for them.

The only thing missing in our friendship was that she has not yet met the girls. Although, thanks to my blog she has felt like she knows them. (I am glad the blog is fulfilling part of it’s purpose, which is to help family/friends stay connected.) So this trip to New York was especially special because some of the people who I hold dearest in my heart (like Robyn) would get to meet my gals.

Robyn is an artist who works mostly in clay but also does some stunning and moving photograph. She has a studio in her lovely townhouse. When I told Amara about it she asked if she could do some work in there (Amara just completed three weeks of art camp where she discovered clay.) Robyn was more than happy to oblige and she gave the girls a lesson in making pinch pots. Both Amara and Havana made some pieces.  And when they were done with clay they painted with the art supplies she gifted them. We also got to spend some time down at the Beacon riverfront, playing at a quaint park along the magnificent Hudson River.
We said goodbye to Robyn after a sweet afternoon together and the girls were happy to learn we would see Robyn again the next day when she would join us for dinner at Vincenza and Anita’s. Seeing those whom I feel close to, like Robyn, has been food for my heart and soul.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...