Saturday, September 14, 2013

New Places (A short story about Amara's transition to her new school)

 
Amara has now finished her second week at her new school. It's far too early to know whether Montessori Family School (MFS) will live up to our hopes and expectations but so far I am relieved with how things are going. The decision to move to a new/independent school was grueling. Just before school started, I began feeling a knot of fear in my stomach that Don and I may have made the wrong choice. But after the past two weeks, that knot has been unraveling as I learn more about MFS and experience first hand the teachers, some of the parent and most importantly the little students.

The children seem respectful, thoughtful, helpful. The teachers dedicated and committed to supporting the children's individual needs. The Montessori style of organization, teaching practical life skills, and engaging children in learning are things I am already witnessing. When I picked Amara up on Friday, I got a glimpse of the children doing their jobs (they are assigned jobs for 2 weeks stretches). I observed a little girl watering plants outside the classroom and two boys working as a team emptying the compost (yes compost! that alone scores major points for our family!) What pride the children took in completing their tasks. And the gal I saw dusting the window ledges as I walked by was so focused. I just love that the children take care in keep their classroom orderly, clean and functioning. These skills will take these little people far. 

I can tell by the few sentences I pull out of Amara that she is already learning some science, math, and practicing her penmanship (her K teacher, Ms. Good, would be happy to know that.) There are Spanish, music and PE classes as well. Amara long forgot the words our beloved Nanny Maria spoke to her but I suspect she will be quick to pick things up. On our drive home one day this week, she recited the colors in Spanish and was open to the corrections I gave her.

Amara is a social girl and has begun to make some friends in her class. There is a little girl who she has been talking about. When I finally met her new friend, I was delighted. Not only was she sweet (and adorable) but she was about Amara's size. Amara is tiny, always much smaller than other kids and she has talked about "being taller" when she grows up. That she has a new friend as pint sized as she, well that makes this mama feel comforted. There are other children Amara has connected with as well including her buddy. MFS has a buddy system for the younger/new students. Her buddy, an older, returning student has helped her learn some of the ropes. This has been quite helpful for Amara has she figures out how to navigate her new school.

On our afternoon drive home, when it's just us, Amara talks with me about things that are on her mind in regards to her new school. One of those is that Amara doesn't understand why kids will play with her sometimes and not others. She is quick to say other's have a best friend. This has lead to several discussions on friendships and relationships and what a friend means. I suspect I will be having that discussion again and again and again!

Amara has had a few difficult moments during the transition. Missing her Ellerhorst friends, along with long days and a new environment has been taxing.  She misses her friend Juliet terribly. She wishes Juliet "could come to MFS... that would make it perfect." On top of that, the classroom is combined 1,2,3, graders. Amara is struggling to be like the bigger kids and sometimes how that looks is not pretty. We had a full on nuclear meltdown at home about her not wanting to sit in the kids chair any longer because "I'm not a baby anymore" only to want to sit on a kids chair at her cousin's house a few days later. That lead to a tender conversation on how hard it was for Amara to be growing up. Then there was the request for me not to hug her when I picked her up the other day; "You are embarrassing me," she said as she turned her head. My heart felt it was ripped from my chest. I tried to hid my tears; I wanted to support Amara's need for individuation (but later told her how much her words hurt me) but man, that hurt for a long time. I wasn't expecting that for at least 8-10 years!

Yet, overall, I think Amara is happy. She in engaged, she is singing songs at home, she talks about the different kids and how she likes the teachers. I can already tell Amara will learn a great deal. One of her teachers (there are two teacher for 23 students) told me that Amara likes to learn and wants to work. Which is our main motivation for switching schools. We didn't want her to be bored again and we didn't like the idea of being busy with work and activities. We wanted her engaged and excited and we wanted her to be able to take the lead in her learning versus being fed lessons to and having to regurgitate things back in the form of some useless test.

With all that said, I can say at this moment, I am happy to with our choice. It's been refreshing to be around families that have similar values as ours. The parents are open and warm and it's clear that they want for their children similar things, things that I/we are hoping MFS will help provide. The school has already shown itself to be committed, communicative and supportive. So here's to our first year at MFS with hopes of a successful school year.


I took these photos before school as to not disturb the classroom. Being the photo historian I am, I had to take some shots for the blog and Amara's scrap book. Here is a glimpse of her classroom.
That Montessori is so organized pleases me immensely. I think that is one of the main things that draws me to this system of learning.  If the kids have order and routine they can focus more easily.  



Amara is an avid reader. It will so much fun to read with her as she grows.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...