Sunday, February 15, 2015

Chinatown~Honolulu



When I travel, if there is a Chinatown, I will find it, explore it and familiarize myself with it. No matter what city, state or country I am in, I am drawn to Chinatown's like a moth to the a flame. 

Hawaii is no exception. Honolulu Chinatown and I met more than ten years ago and in the four subsequent visits here, I always make her my first stop. A long days flight calls for some good food and drink to restore the physical body and the small food court in Chinatown always hits the spot; there are several choices of Asian fare and a fresh fruit drink tops it all off perfectly. Chinatown Honolulu is also the place to pick up fresh fruit, veggies and other food supplies. 

Honolulu's Chinatown is small but sufficient. However, I must say that during this recent visit, I was disappointed that the food court lost several vendors and the price of food had gone up significantly. I guess that's a sign of the times. Still, I was able to secure some i-tals like papaya,genip, raw peanuts, lime, cucumber, and a few other things that would hold us over a few days. 

I may only be 10% Chinese but that 10% runs deep and strong. And I am most thankful that in many of the city, states and countries I am fortunate to travel to, I am able to visit and explore the areas called Chinatown, which are hidden and valuable gems. I wonder which Chinatown is next? 

Here are some photos of Honolulu's Chinatown.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...