Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Hanauma Bay



 It took this, my fifth visit to O'ahu to finally make it to Hanauma Bay on the south coast. Hanauma Bay is a protected marine life conservation area that was formed from volcano  and it offers some of the best snorkeling on the island. During previous visits, we stayed on the North Shore and well, to be honest, I didn't have it in me to make the drive; not when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant or when Amara was an infant and later when the girls still napped. It all felt like too much work. 

Not this trip; staying in Kailua offered us the opportunity to do things we opted out of before. It was a short but breathtaking drive to Hanauma Bay. Along the way we took in the majestic peaks, crystal clear water and even saw some whales on the way home.  It was magical.

The park itself was crowded; it is a huge tourist destination, yet it was worth the visit. The girls used their boogie board to get up close to the fish and were just giddy each time they spotted one. Snorkeling is one of my most favorite things to do and to share this with my girls was something I felt most grateful for  (well their version which was laying on the board looking down) That they loved this experience made my heart full with thanks for the blessings to be able to make such memories with our family. The girls also got to make their umpteenth sand castle with their papa. They are getting quite elaborate at it.

It was a perfect day. The only downside; I wish we lived here!





Taken with underwater camera.






It's hard to tell from the photo but that is one of several whales we spotted from a scenic overlook. Seeing those magnificent creatures was a blessing. It was the first time the girls saw whales and they were in awe and thoroughly delighted!



I am an Island Girl. I could never tire of the warm sun, tropical breezes and crystal turquoise waters that make up the South Pacific (or the Caribbean). I don't know much but I do know that one day, I will call this type of land/seascape home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...