Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Buenos Aires



                                 


                                                               
During our first days in Buenos Aires (BA), it rained; alot; and still we walked; alot! I'd brought along ponchos (my research on the weather helped me plan well) and we bought an umbrella for Ms. Havana who refused to wear her poncho.

It was late Spring so the temperature was warm (I love warm, rainy days). So off we went to explore the streets with their historical buildings, endless shops and panaderias. We explored the famous Recoleta Cemetery, saw well kept parks and even checked out one of the many malls. Argentines, I discovered, love to shop!  Along famous Calle Florida we exchanged our US dollars for a great rate and tried empandas for the first time from a local panaderia (or bakery). We also passed a handful of the Havanna shops which sell alfajores, the Argentine national sweet. Havana was told to to look out for a shop baring her name but we were not prepared to see so many!

                                  I couldn't get enough of the architecture. I could have spent days walking at the buildings. I pointed out many a building to the girls but I was not sure if they were able to appreciate that they saw.
 In many ways, BA reminded me of Havana, Cuba. Then it dawned of me; it was the Spanish/European influence that helped to build both cities. 


Recoleta Cemetary (above and  the four photos below)



                     
                                                         


                                                               

 Argentina is a Catholic country
and I discovered that the people's faith plays a crucial role in their lives.  It was strongly evident in the cemetery.                












Inside the Subte (Subway) Station.  Taking public transportation (we also took the bus) is always a great way to get a feel for a city and it's people. 




Throughout the city we would occasionally see cobblestone streets where I would stop and stare in admiration. I am not sure what it is about cobblestone streets but they seem timeless; they have a way to bring a glimpse of the past in the present.





In the short time we spent in Buenos Aires, I fell in love with this city. I found it to be diverse, rich with history, and it's people warm and friendly. We didn't do touristy things and we didn't get to explore the cultural aspects (like seeing a Tango show or visiting a museum) but just walking the streets, watching the people, eating in local establishments gave us a good sense of the city and those who call it home. Some day, when the girls are older and we have more time I would like to spend an extended time in this lovely city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...