Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Holidays


 I have very mixed feelings about Christmas. I could never accept or understand what shopping, lights on houses, trees and eating ham had to do with the birth of Jesus. I have tried to let that go and over the years my feelings about it ebb and flow. What seems to have worked in the letting go of my (angry) feelings about what I judge as hypocritical (yes, I cop to the fact that I am judgmental around this) is our families annual ritual of putting up a tree with ornaments that have sentimental value. I view the tree as a symbol of the winter solstice which is a time that welcomes introspection and reflection. And I strongly suspect that the early church founders adopted the Christmas tree from pagan fellows, just as they adopted many of their rituals. I am more at ease knowing parts of the Christmas traditions stem from earthly origins.

A couple of years ago, I found myself enjoying setting up the tree. When our family brings out our ornaments, we think back to where we were when we made or purchased it. This has led to us to remember family holidays or times with family that live far away. Don and I get sentimental that our young children are growing too fast. It is a sweet ritual and one I am at peace with during the Christmas holiday season.

This year, with the girls a bit older and able to comprehend things more, I talked about the importance of story as teacher and that the story of Christmas or the story of Christ- birth, death, rebirth- is an important one. Our family (or at least I) have different views of birth, death and rebirth but they are not that different than the story of Christ. One can find similar stories throughout many other religions and these stories are important aspects of life. Which is why this year, I talked with my daughters about these cycles of life. 

And, I have to admit, I take pleasure in the girls getting gifts. It's the perfect time to replace outgrown clothing, get new toys and crafts (and purge the old, worn out ones) and to get things that are just plain fun. I have long educated the girls on the real origins of St. Nick (Santa Claus) (he was from Turkey) and while they do think some magical being brings them presents (and I don't love that idea), I do like the idea that Christmas encourages magical thinking. There is nothing quite like the power of believing. 

So it was with all of these feelings that our family celebrated yet another Christmas. As someone who grew up Jewish, I have had these feelings all my life. It's a bit odd to celebrate it as an adult but the kids do delight in the magic of it all so for now we will keep going with celebrating Christmas.


What better book to buy a little girl who asks dozens of questions a day?!


We bought Papa some things in Argentina that we presented Christmas morning.

                                    
                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...