Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Seven Lakes Road

Seven Lakes Drive in Patagonia, Argentina was one of the most breath taking places I had ever set my eyes upon. Yes, the Falls were beyond spectacular. The Mountain surrounding San Martin, splendid. But this stretch of planet earth was unlike anything I had ever witnessed. 

Nestled in the between snow capped mountains, amongst national parks where forests and meadows are home to wild flowers, grazing animals and protected trees, lies Seven Lakes Road that connects San Martin de los Andes with Bariloche, a larger city in the Andes regions. A few quaint towns are tucked in along the way but what makes this area stand out was the striking natural beauty in a remote setting that left me feeling like I was a visitor from a foreign planet, not just one from the northern hemisphere. I felt as if I was touching upon sacred ground. And I was. I am not sure the girls could grasp the magnitude of the surroundings but they oohed and ahhed at dazzling lakes that seemed to never end. (The girls actually counted the lakes; we got to thirteen when we reached our destination in Villa La Angostra).

The girls got a bit fussy being in the car for so long and after the third family photo stop got a bit annoyed but I had to capture our family in this precious place. A short but rejuvenating stop at one of the lakes worked wonders on their restlessness.
Those numbers are kilometers not miles!




 



We met these music students at one of the lookouts. Their teacher (in red in the rear) was kind enough to take one of our family shots.






Not too long before we saw these men hard at work building a rock wall, I was wondering how the rock walls were built. I was glad I got my answer sooner than later and I was thankful the girls got to see the answer too. I think that these type of things, learning how things are built and seeing people hard at work are just as important than any lesson at school.




Amara said her babies wanted to be in a photo near the pretty lake.

 


Photo by Amara C. !






Children outside, in the natural world; no toys; no gadgets; The best type of fun!







After a long day, we had two girls that were too sleepy to stay awake. They conked out in the back sit which gave Don and I some much appreciated quiet space to take in the sights on our drive home.  This was one day, one place that will stay with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...