Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Book Worm

Amara loves to read. She asked us to teach her how to read at just four years old (you can read about that  here: http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2012/04/learning-to-read.html.)  At seven and a half Amara is reading chapter books that are up to a couple of hundred pages long. She's only half way through Second grade. It's amazing. The down side to her voracious reading is that she frequently does not know vocabulary or context. So she asks Don and I what words mean and what a scene means in the story. It's all part of her learning curve however and we are are mindful to let her pick books that are fairly age appropriate.  The one other down side, which is really something quite amusing, is that that Amara asks us numerous times throughout a book, "Guess which page I am on?" or "Guess what chapter I am on?" So at page 53 she will ask and then again and page 72 and then again at 95...and so on. It can get a bit tedious but the fact that she is so proud of reading as much as she is, is actually a joy to watch. Some of my favorite moments with my girl are when we are laying in bed together, each reading our own book (until she interrupts me with her "Guess what page I am on?" questions!!) and just recently I taught her how to read a book in the bathtub without getting the book wet. These are the moments that I cherish the most; watching my girl enjoy a good story through written word. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...