Monday, September 22, 2014

Eagle Medicine


There aren't many eagles around Northern California but every now and again one may show him/herself. What I have noticed with any winged, four legged and water creature is that sometimes they show up specifically for a particular person. Like the Don and the fox who lives in our yard  (http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2012/07/fox-medicine.html).

When Amara was an infant I took her to the San Pablo Damn Reservoir where during our visit, I spotted a bald eagle. I had only seen an eagle once before and that was up on the Columbia River in Washington State. That day, with a tiny Amara in my arms, I was in awe of  this regal, winged beauty who seemed to take great pleasure in her flight. Well, by the time Amara reached a year another eagle made itself seen while we were out and about in nature. It was when it happened yet a third time in less than a year, that I realized that Amara may have Eagle medicine.

By the time I had these thoughts, I had already given her several nicknames, including eagle eyes because I had never in my life met any one, young or old, who had such laser sharp vision and nothing would go unnoticed by her.  Sometimes I would purposely put something on the counter or on the on the dresser, not quite out of view but sort of hidden and it wouldn't take Amara but thirty seconds to waddle over and try to see what the new object in the room was. At seven years old, nothing has changed. Amara remains sharp as a tack; she scans a room and can take in everything. Not unlike an eagle soaring in the sky searching for prey, able to hone in on the tiniest creatures.

It is my understanding that eagle represents many things including; connecting heaven and earth; conquering owns fears, independence and strength; the power of how we communicate; these are all things that I see in Amara so far. Whether or not the eagle is a totem animal or not it is for her to discover but it is my job to help support her in learning to pay attention to the signs that Creator may, or may not, bring her way.

Our latest eagle spotting was a couple of weeks ago up on the Russian River. As soon as we arrived, there s/he appeared, flew around for a bit and then disappeared. I was thankful that this last time I had my camera to capture some photos to go with Amara's story about her connection to Eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...