Wednesday, December 12, 2012

On a night like this.....


....when I am feeling tired and a little down and all I want to do is sleep but can't (because bed time is 2 1/2 hours off), I sneak my way up to my bedroom, O magazine in hand and crawl into bed with a wish. My wish is that the girls will be satisfied to play with their father for while so I can be left alone. I mean, they haven't seen him all day, right? Maybe I can just lay here in my bed, with my fatigued body and funky mood and have a few minutes to just read or maybe even doze off?

Well, I did. But it only lasted about 3 minutes. Literally. As soon as I got under the covers and pulled them up high, Havana came upstairs to tell me something about the Christmas lights her father draped around the banister; "Mama, look, look!" She wanted me to enjoy the lights too. She was quickly followed by Amara, who had blankets over her head. "I'm a ghost" she chanted.  All I could do was laugh. I mean, all I wanted was a few minutes to wallow in my misery but what I got instead were two rays of sunshine, on this dark and cold (not even winter yet) night, who couldn't let their mother be out of sight.

When the girls asked me to get up and go downstairs to play, I told them, "No, I don't feel good." (gotta set those boundaries, right?) Well, they didn't like that answer. So they brought the fun to me. Amara got in the bed, got naked and did a "I'm a funny girl" dance which included her "shaking her booty." How did I get so lucky to have two girls with enormous amounts of life?! My funky mood, my depressing thoughts, my tired body, didn't stand a chance. Havana took the magazine away from me, crawled under the blanket, snuggled right up next to me gave me a big 'lip kiss' (our name for her delightfully, juicy kisses) and said "I'm gonna cuddle with you mama." And that's what we did. Amara quickly joined in, laying on the other side. Soon we were giggling, reading books and just loving on each other.

I didn't realize it but I needed to feel some love. The girls, they gave me just that! The perfect rx for my fatigued body and funky mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...