Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wakodahatchee Wetlands


The last few times I was at my mother's house in Lake Worth, Florida, I noticed some nature perserves spread out in between the massive housing schemes built for the retiring Northerers. I have been curious for sometime as to what those perseves were like. On this last trip, I didn't to check one out. Don was working back at Nana's, so after nap time the the girls and I headed out to Wakodahatchee Wetlands. My sister Natilie suggested this particular spot. She had been there the weekend before and just loved it. She and my brother-in-law Ernesto drove up from North Miami to join us. My intentions were to get the girls out in nature with their aunt and uncle one last time before heading home and to hopefully see lots of birds and some alligator. With that in mind we headed out.

(it was quite cloudly and as i am still learning about light, my photos are not the best but i think they are good enough.)

More specific detail about the perseve can be found at:






Uncle Ernesto & Amara looking at a baby turtle and mama turtle.

The mama.

The mama and if you look closely the baby is right behding her.


The baby.









We looked and looked for an alligator and then my sister saw what she thought was a head sticking out of the water. Could it be?

Yes! Yeah, we found an alligator. Or rather it found us! The girls were so excited! They had been to the Everglades several times but didn't remember the gators. So this was like their first time!



We saw at least 3 species of turtles.


And so many birds.







Natalie has sharp eyes; she spotted another gator. If you look closely you will see his/her head.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...