Friday, December 7, 2012

The Girls (Strawberry Patch)


My mother told me she wanted to take the girls and I to a place called 'The Girls' (there is a 'The Boys as well in a different location). She described it as a 'Country Store' but when we pulled up into a small strip mall I was like, "You're kidding me. This is a country store?" Well, I was most pleasantly surprised by what greeted us beyond the front door.

Upon entering the store, one is met with a giant nutcracker (it is the season) and then, I was taken back by the enormous amount of....things. Things including kitchen gifts and novelty items as well as wall after wall of honey, jams, preserves and hot sauces. The preserves, the sign read, were 'all made with fruit grown by The Girls. Really? I thought. Where? In the parking lot. But when my mother insisted that we go through the back door and save the shopping for later I quickly understood.

The Girls had an enormous back space that had strawberries and other fruits and vegetables that were growing. I loved that! But what I was just delighted by was the animal refuge that was there. Apparently, The Girls takes in exotic animals that were in need of safe and healthy homes. It was clear by all the singing birds, friendly turtles and sweet donkey that they were well cared for. And the area had space for exploration and play as well. What a morning we had! Thanks Nana!!





I am a HUGE honey fan. I loved seeing all the varieties of honey and where in Florida they originated from.



This friendly fella turned around, walked up and gave us a smile!!

This sweet, silly bird turned upside down to say hello to the girls.






 










All the ice cream was handmade. I think this was the best ice cream I have ever tasted. We didn't get the Whala Whala Monkey but I tickled by the names of some of the flavors.







Havana opted for chocolate.

I think she liked it!

Amara opted for a rainbow sorbet.

I think Amara liked hers too.

Nana got her usual coffee. And Mama opted out, just enjoying a few tastes of the girls.

Kosher too! Loved that!!

Next door was a bakery run by The Girls as well.





I opted out here too but enjoyed just looking at all the treats. I did pick up a loaf of marble rye and pumpernickel (which I froze and brought back home). You can't find 'real' loaves of those in the Bay Area. Some try but real Jewish bread is an East Coast thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...